robyn137a_Frame100Robyn_BusinesscardContact Me_small
Child Support | Alimony | Child Custody | Child Visitation | Property Division | Child Support Modifications | Alimony Modifications
Separation Agreement | Prenuptial Agreement | Guardianship | Adoption | MA Child Support FAQs
Child Support Calculator | Child Support Guidelines | Mass Child Custody Statute

Massachusetts Child Support Modification
In Massachusetts, you can file for modification of child support by way of motion on an open case or by way of complaint for modification after a case
has gone to judgement. In order to obtain a modification the plaintiff must show that a material change in circumstances has occurred since the last order or judgement.

Under the new 2009 Child Support Guidelines, a modification of your child support order may be pursued in certain circumstances if any of the following apply:

Child Support Modification (Under the 2009 Child Support Guidelines)


  • The existing order is at least 3 years old
  • Death of noncustodial parent
  • Unanticipated increase in educational costs of children
  • Increased Income or assets of noncustodial parent
  • Reduced Income of noncustodial parent due to illness
  • Job loss
    • Judges are reluctant to reduce child support payments based on temporary unemployment.
  • Health insurance previously available at reasonable cost is no longer available (or if available but not a reasonable cost)
  • Health insurance not previously available to a party at reasonable cost has become available, or
  • any other material change in circumstances that has occurred.
Child Support Modification Video

Agreements or Judgements that will not be modified by the court

  • Division of marital assets including property as part of a divorce agreement or judgement
    • discovered within one year of the agreement or judgment
  • Payor's reduced income as a result of a voluntary choice of employment at reduced levels.
Our Boston lawyers and attorneys are experienced in all areas of modifications and child support. Call attorney Robyn A. Briatico at 617-387-6800 to schedule your free 20 minute phone consult.